We are pleased to be the first Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to offer the Pixel8-RF Microneedling system in San Antonio, Texas. The system combines the effects of minimally invasive microneedling with the power of Radio Frequency energy to build collagen. Are you bothered by problems like wrinkles, fine lines, sagging or crepey skin? If so, this may be the solution for you.
- 1 An Innovative Skin Rejuvenation Technique
- 2 More About RF Microneedling
- 3 Benefits
- 4 Ideal Candidate
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparation
- 7 The Procedure
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results
- 10 Costs
- 11 References
An Innovative Skin Rejuvenation Technique
RF Microneedling is a skin treatment that combines the benefits of microneedling and radiofrequency (RF) energy to help smooth and rejuvenate the skin. It’s gained popularity in recent years because it improves fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin, acne scars, and uneven texture. RF Microneedling can offer a non-surgical alternative to traditional facelifts and other more invasive procedures for patients who struggle with age-related skin changes. And, with RF Microneedling, patients have a promising treatment option that is proven to improve the appearance of acne scars.
Dr. Suresh Koneru of Advanced Concepts in Plastic Surgery is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has been providing expert care to patients in the San Antonio area for over 20 years. Dr. Koneru is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest techniques and technologies to ensure his patients receive the best possible care. He offers RF Microneedling with the PiXel8-RF system for a more comfortable experience and superior results. Find out what this procedure can do by calling (210) 499-5900 or filling out our contact form to schedule your consultation appointment.
On his blog, Dr. Koneru provides his patients with a comprehensive understanding of the procedures he offers and valuable insights into the world of cosmetic improvements and more.
More About RF Microneedling
RF Microneedling is a minimally-invasive cosmetic procedure that combines two powerful technologies – radiofrequency (RF) energy and microneedling – to rejuvenate the skin.
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a technique that involves using tiny needles to create small punctures in the skin, which stimulates the skin’s natural healing response and promotes the production of collagen and elastin. 
This treatment is not a new concept and has been used for various purposes for centuries. Modern microneedling techniques were developed to treat scars and stretch marks. Since then, microneedling has been refined and adapted to treat a variety of skin concerns. Microneedling is sometimes called collagen induction therapy because of its incredible ability to promote new collagen growth.
What is Radiofrequency (RF) Energy?
RF energy safely heats tissues, stimulating collagen production and tightening sagging or lax skin.  Collagen gives the skin its firmness and elasticity. As we age, our bodies produce less collagen, resulting in wrinkles, sagging skin, and other signs of aging. RF Microneedling can help to reverse some of these effects and restore a more youthful appearance to the skin.
How Many Treatments are Needed?
The number of treatments needed with RF Microneedling can vary depending on the patient’s needs and goals. Most patients see optimal results after three to six treatments spaced four to six weeks apart. However, the number of treatments needed may vary depending on the skin condition’s severity.
One of the key benefits of RF Microneedling is its ability to target specific areas and concerns. Because the needles used in the procedure are adjustable, the depth of the treatment can be customized to meet the patient’s specific needs. This makes RF Microneedling an ideal treatment option for patients who want to target specific problem areas, such as crow’s feet, frown lines, or acne scars.
A recent study of microneedling’s effect on pigmentation disorders found that microneedling is also an effective way to treat :
- Periorbital hyperpigmentation (hereditary dark circles)
Acne scars are a common skin concern affecting people of all ages and skin types. These scars can be physically and emotionally distressing and can make patients feel self-conscious about their appearance. RF Microneedling offers hope to those suffering from acne scars by providing a safe and effective treatment option that can improve the appearance of their skin. 
The micro-injuries created by microneedling also allow topical skincare products to work more effectively. This allows for deeper delivery of active ingredients, leading to better results in improving the appearance of the skin. RF Microneedling has several additional benefits for patients in San Antonio, TX, including:
- Improved skin texture and tone
- Safe and effective for all skin types
- Smoother, tighter skin
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduced hyperpigmentation
- Minimal downtime and discomfort
There are a variety of RF microneedling devices available today. While they all work on the same principle, they can offer very different experiences in terms of patient comfort. Morpheus8 by InMode is widely advertised, but many patients find it difficult to tolerate its painful treatment sessions. But, why suffer?
The PiXel8 is simply less painful, and still an effective RF microneedling system. We use a multi-pronged approach to make sure patients are as comfortable as possible.
- Before the treatment session starts, the area is numbed with a topical anesthetic.
- A Zimmer cooling system blows cold air to keep the treatment area numb.
- NitroNox Plus is available for sensitive patients. For an additional charge, patients can opt for Nitrous oxide during the treatment to remain relaxed and comfortable.
RF Microneedling is a safe and effective treatment for most people, regardless of skin type or color.  Unlike other skin rejuvenation treatments, such as chemical peels or laser resurfacing, RF Microneedling does not cause hyperpigmentation or scarring in patients with darker skin tones.
RF Microneedling can treat patients with other types of scars, including surgical scars and stretch marks. However, it may not suit people with certain medical conditions, such as active outbreaks of acne, eczema, or psoriasis. Dr. Koneru will evaluate your skin and medical history to determine if RF Microneedling is right for you.
During a consultation with Dr. Koneru, patients can expect to receive a comprehensive evaluation of their skin concerns and goals. He will assess the patient’s skin type, texture, tone, and existing conditions, such as scarring or hyperpigmentation. Based on this evaluation, we will recommend a customized treatment plan that addresses the patient’s specific concerns and goals.
The consultation will also include a discussion of the RF Microneedling procedure itself, including the expected duration of the treatment, potential side effects, and post-treatment care. Patients will have the opportunity to ask any questions about the procedure and voice any concerns or preferences they may have.
The team at Advanced Concepts in Plastic Surgery works closely with patients to develop a treatment plan that fits the patient’s schedule, budget, and desired outcomes. We will also explain the expected timeline for achieving results and may recommend additional treatments or maintenance procedures to keep the patient’s skin looking incredible long-term.
Preparing for an RF Microneedling appointment can help ensure a safe and effective experience. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your appointment:
- It is important to avoid sun exposure for at least a week before your appointment, as sunburned or tanned skin can increase the risk of complications. Wear sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher if you need to be outside.
- Some skincare products, such as retinoids, AHAs, and BHAs, can make your skin more sensitive and increase the risk of complications. Avoiding these products for a few days before your appointment is important.
- Make sure to arrive at your appointment with a clean face, free of makeup, lotions, and other products.
- RF Microneedling can cause some discomfort, so you may want to take an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as ibuprofen, 30 minutes before your appointment.
- After your appointment, your skin may be red, swollen, or sensitive for a few days. Plan for downtime and avoid strenuous exercise or other activities that may cause sweating or irritation.
Dr. Koneru and his team will provide specific instructions for post-treatment care, including avoiding certain products, using gentle cleansers, and applying moisturizer. Follow these instructions carefully to help ensure a safe and successful treatment experience.
Once you arrive for treatment, we will check you in and ensure your comfort. We will answer any last-minute questions before getting started.
The treatment begins with your skin being cleansed and prepped. A topical anesthetic cream will be applied to the treatment area to minimize discomfort. Once you are comfortable, we will use the RF Microneedling device on your skin– the microneedles allow the RF energy to penetrate deeper into the skin. The energy is delivered in controlled pulses, heating the deeper layers of the skin to stimulate collagen production. After the RF energy has been delivered, a cooling gel or other soothing treatment will be applied to the skin to minimize discomfort or redness.
The length of the procedure can vary depending on the size of the treatment area, but most sessions take between 30 and 60 minutes.
Proper skin care after RF Microneedling treatment is important to ensure optimal healing and minimize the risk of complications. Here are some general guidelines for caring for your skin in the days and weeks after the procedure:
The Day After Treatment
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible, and apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 if you need to be outside.
- Apply a gentle, non-irritating moisturizer to the treated area as often as needed to keep the skin hydrated.
- Avoid wearing makeup or other products on the treated area for the first 24 hours after the procedure.
A Week After Treatment
- Avoid using exfoliating scrubs, peels, or other products that may irritate the skin for at least a week after the procedure.
- Avoid picking or scratching at the treated area, which can cause further irritation and delay healing.
- Avoid using retinoids, AHAs, BHAs, or other potentially irritating products for at least a week after the procedure.
It is important to remember that everyone’s skin heals differently. You should follow Dr. Koneru’s specific instructions to ensure proper healing. Contact us immediately if you experience unusual or concerning symptoms, such as excessive redness or swelling.
After treatment, patients will see an improvement in their skin’s overall appearance. The treatment results can vary depending on several factors, including the severity of the skin condition, the number of treatments received, and the patient’s skin type and age, but patients generally find the treatment results rewarding.
The increase in collagen production can help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making the skin appear smoother and more youthful. RF Microneedling can also make the skin appear more even by reducing the appearance of scars, including acne scars, and surgical scars. Furthermore, patients can expect to see hyperpigmentation, including age spots, sun damage, and other types of discoloration, fade away.
Remember that the results of RF Microneedling treatment can take several weeks or months to become fully apparent, and multiple treatments may be necessary to achieve the desired results. Dr. Koneru can help you determine the best treatment plan for your needs and goals.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Koneru and learn more about the cost, and how RF Microneedling can help you achieve smoother, tighter, more youthful-looking skin. Call (210) 499-5900 to reach our scheduling coordinator.
We look forward to helping you look and feel your best!
- El-Domyati M, Barakat M, Awad S, Medhat W, El-Fakahany H, Farag H. Multiple microneedling sessions for minimally invasive facial rejuvenation: an objective assessment. International Journal of Dermatology. 2015;54(12):1361-1369. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijd.12761
- Mulholland RS. Radio Frequency Energy for Non-invasive and Minimally Invasive Skin Tightening. Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 2011;38(3):437-448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cps.2011.05.003
- Ziaeifar E, Ziaeifar F, Mozafarpoor S, Goodarzi A. Applications of microneedling for various dermatologic indications with a special focus on pigmentary disorders: A comprehensive review study. Dermatologic Therapy. 2021;34(6). https://doi.org/10.1111/dth.15159
- Chandrashekar B, Sriram R, Mysore R, Bhaskar S, Shetty A. Evaluation of microneedling fractional radiofrequency device for treatment of acne scars. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery. 2014;7(2):93. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2077.138328
- Cohen BE, Elbuluk N. Microneedling in skin of color: A review of uses and efficacy. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2016;74(2):348-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2015.09.024