We are happy to now offer Pharmacogenetic Testing for our patients. Pharmacogenetics is a burgeoning field in laboratory medicine. It allows us to test if you might be genetically predisposed to have problems metabolizing drugs. It allows us to use your genetic makeup to predict the medicines that will work best for you.
It is common for me to see patients that have unusual reactions to common drugs such as pain relievers. In the past, it has been difficult to find the right pain medicine for these patients. Now, we are able to get an extensive analysis of your genetic makeup. The genes that the testing looks at are those that determine how you metabolize different medicines. Armed with this information, we can tailor your medications to get the correct dose and reduce side effects. It allows us to Personalize your medication regimen.
Personalized medicine means you will not have to go through trial and error to figure out what medicine works best for you. It has the potential to save money that you might spend on medicine that does not work for you. It can also help prevent an overdose of medicine if your genes show you should have a lower dose than normal.
The process is simple:
- We take a thorough medication history that includes any medicines you have had problems with
- We take a simple swab of saliva in our office
- We ship the swab to the Genomics lab
- Approximately 2 weeks later we get an extensive report from the lab
- We will review the report together and give you a copy that you can take to every doctor you see in the future
- We can adjust any medication dosages or types that you are taking to prevent failures or drug reactions.
Most insurance companies have been covering the cost of the testing when there is a true need. In the long run, it is economical for the insurance companies. They can save on prescription drug costs as well as any medical costs to treat drug reactions.
If you are interested in having the testing done, be sure to let us know when you are in next time. Or call the office at 210-499-5900 to schedule an appointment.