Hilda and Linda have been fielding a lot of calls about scheduling surgery since Governor Abbott relaxed restrictions. We did not get formal guidance from the Texas Medical Board (TMB) until Tuesday afternoon. Unfortunately, the TMB views Cosmetic procedures as “Elective, non-urgent”. You can find the full text of the FAQ here if you are interested. Based on this review, we now must wait until after midnight on May 8th to perform Cosmetic Surgery. But, at least we have the green light to perform Elective Urgent and Urgent surgery and we are now scheduling all non-cosmetic procedures. So if your surgery has been on hold or was rescheduled, call or text the office at 210-499-5900 to get scheduled. The COVID-19 pandemic is still with us and will be for several weeks so we are proceeding using the following framework:
What do we know about COVID-19?
- It is highly contagious
- Infected people may not have symptoms
- Most people recover, but those over 65 or with significant medical problems do poorly
- Social distancing works to decrease infection
- There is no cure just like there is no cure for the common cold
- There is no vaccine like there is for the flu
- We have “flattened the curve” for the number of infections, but we have not killed the virus.
These are factors that everyone from the Anti-Vaxers to the CDC can agree on.
What we are doing to keep our patients and staff safe:
- All patients are able to be seen by Online Consultation.
- If a patient has an issue that needs “hands-on” they are seen in the office after an online consultation.
- Patients must arrive exactly at their appointment time. We ask that you wait in the car if early. Any patient who is late will need to reschedule.
- No visitors are allowed in the office, only the patient. No people in the reception area.
- Temperatures are taken before entering the office and if the temp is above 100.3 degrees they are not allowed in.
- All staff wear masks and we ask all patients to as well.
- Each room is disinfected after each patient.
- Frequent cleaning of the office during the day.
- We are only accepting contactless payments. Either call with a credit/debit card, or ask to use our Pay by Text feature.
- Staff must remain at home if they are sick.
Our goal is that no one contracts or spreads COVID-19 in our office.
How long will these procedures be in effect?
- We plan to continue offering Online Visits forever.
- We will relax office restrictions once the virus has been eliminated, there is a cure, or there is a vaccine available.
- These procedures may change depending on the infection patterns.
Our long term goal is to decrease the number of in-office visits while still increasing the total number of patients we treat. With Online Consults we are able to save patients travel time and time away from work or family.
Rest assured that I believe our office is a safe, clean place. We are doing everything possible to minimize the spread of the virus, please be patient as we resume our full schedule. I am eager to start doing what I love again and look forward to what the rest of 2020 brings.